VINTAGE BUTTER PECAN COOKIES
With so many great, modern-day cookbooks and online recipe sites for butter pecan cookies available these days, I often find it difficult to decide which one to refer to for inspiration. I find solace from the age of abundant information in quiet, comforting places. One place is my Mother’s recipe box containing bits of yellowing paper with fading yet elegant cursive writing on them.
Opening the lid of this box, blissful memories are released of days gone by. Of times, from a child’s perspective, when life seemed much simpler and slower. When the mind was allowed room to enjoy being in the moment, without the distraction of technology.
This is one of those recipes. Enjoy!
Total Prep Time: 45 minutes
Recipe: Makes 2 Dozen
Serving Size: 2 Cookies
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cups sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 325F
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter for about a minute, on medium-high speed, until creamy and light yellow in color.
- Add sugar, 1/3 of a cup at a time, and beat until light in consistency and fully combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour in vanilla and add salt, then whip butter mixture together for 30 seconds
- Scrape down sides of bowl, then whip again for 15 more seconds
- Add flour to mixture, 1/2 cup at a time (scraping down sides with a spatula)
- After adding the first cup of flour, switch to the dough kneading attachment, then continue adding the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time.
- When mixture starts to come together as a dough, blend in pecans, on low speed.
- By hand, roll dough into balls. (A small ice cream scoop can be used to ensure that all cookies are of a consistent size)
- Place dough balls 3 inches apart, on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Flatten dough balls (A large spatula or the bottom of a glass tumbler can be used)
- Place each tray in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for around 20 minutes (time may vary, depending on the heating element in your oven.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
Find this delicious and meditative? Feel free to share it!
Interested in free access to more like this?