As I stand here at my kitchen window, watching the autumn rain turn the yellowing leaves to shimmering gold, I feel the urge to enjoy a hot, steaming cup of something. It’s time for an autumnal latte!
We all know that our favorite coffee houses have some of the best seasonal coffee drinks around. But, here in Winnipeg, I still haven’t gotten used to there not being one on every corner. The nearest one is over a mile away. Not a distance I’d care to walk in the rain on this 58F/14C afternoon.
So, what to do? I’ll make one myself. Here’s how I do it, with ingredients found in our pantry and fridge.
The Autumn Infused Latte
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp plain canned pumpkin
- 1/8th tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Sugar to taste (or one packet of sugar substitute)
- 2 heaping tsps of powdered vanilla coffee mix
- Whipped cream
- Whisk together milk, pumpkin, spice and sugar until combined
- Microwave the mixture for two minutes on high
- Then again, for one minute. (DO NOT heat the milk mixture for the full three minutes, all at one time. It will erupt all over the place and you will then have made a pumpkin spiced microwave)
- Remove mixture and again, stir well
- Pour mixed contents through a sieve, into your mug of choice
- Stir powdered vanilla coffee mix into pumpkin mixture
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream, if preferred