As spring flows into summer in Southern Manitoba, berry picking provides an opportunity for communities to come together, after a long winter, to socialize, exercise and partake of many a sweet fruit. This very berry summer salad epitomizes the flavors of this early harvest, nourishing the body with fresh ingredients, hand-gathered amid the sounds of soft chatter and heartfelt laughter.
The sweetness of berries can be the perfect complement to more savory ingredients as in this summer salad recipe straight from The Olenick House kitchen. Enjoy.
A Very Berry Summer Salad
- 2 chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head fresh butter lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/8 cup red onion, short-sliced
- Raspberry vinaigrette dress to taste
- In a large pan, heat oil
- Brown cubed chicken over medium-low heat until cooked through, salt/pepper to taste
- While chicken is browning, shred lettuce into a large serving bowl
- Add feta, pecans, blueberries and red onion
- Set chicken aside and allow to cool, once nicely browned.
- Add chicken to salad bowl, once cooled.
- Drizzle salad with raspberry vinaigrette (approx 1/2 cup is perfect) and serve.