Here at The Olenick House, July is the about the time when fresh veggies start rolling out of the garden. This makes for some delicious recipes for Darren and me to enjoy together at the end of a long, hot Summer’s day. One such recipe is this Garden-fresh vegetable and chicken pasta dish chock full of protein and vitamin-rich veggies. Try it for yourself any time of year and enjoy!
Total Prep Time: 1 hour
Servings in Recipe: 4 – 6
Serving Size: As Preferred
GARDEN-FRESH VEGETABLE and CHICKEN PASTA
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups cubed chicken breast or thighs (whichever is preferred)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 red or orange bell pepper cut into strips
- 3 cups of fresh spinach (or 1 package of frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese (for sprinkling on top)
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Heat vegetable oil in a dutch oven or large pot, over medium heat.
- Boil water for penne in a 2nd pot
- Cut chicken into cubes, then saute until brown in the oil. Salt and pepper to taste
- As the chicken is browning, chop onion
- When chicken cubes are lightly brown, remove from pot and set aside
- Add onion to pot and cook until translucent
- As the onions cook, chop (or drain) spinach and bell pepper
- When onions are translucent, add soup, milk and oregano, stir to combine
- When soup is heated through, add bell pepper and spinach
- Raise heat to a boil, stirring often for 5 minutes
- Return chicken to the pot, and lower to medium heat
- Cover combined ingredients, then simmer for another 5 minutes
- Drain penne and fold into chicken and vegetables, allow to heat through
- Serve in large pasta bowls and top with a sprinkling of pepper jack cheese
Find this delicious and meditative? Feel free to share it!
Interested in free access to more like this?