When I was a child, my Abuelita used to make these crispy, baked bunuelos for all of us grandkids, as a reward for being well-behaved. Biting into one, I can almost feel the sun of my face as we enjoyed these outside, on a warm summer day.
This recipe a great alternative to the fried version and are definitely a favourite in our house. Instead of regular brown sugar, a brown sugar substitute, like Splenda, works perfectly for those with sugar sensitivities.
Total Prep Time: 30 minutes
Servings in Recipe: As Preferred
Serving Size: As Preferred
CRISPY BAKED BUNUELOS
- 1 package of 8″ wheat or white flour tortillas
- 3 tbsp melted butter (for brushing)
- Brown sugar (or a brown sugar substitute) and cinnamon for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400F/204C then line three baking sheets with parchment
- Cut several tortillas at a time into 6 wedge-shaped slices
- Arrange them on the baking sheets with room in between each slice
- Brush each slice with a thin layer of melted butter
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture
- Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown and crisp to the touch
- Allow them to cool for 5 minutes before putting them in a container or enjoy them warm and fresh out of the oven
Find this delicious and meditative? Feel free to share it!
Interested in free access to more like this?