At the heart of Canadian cuisine is a nectar so steeped in history that is has become an integral part of the country’s identity. So much so, that the leaf of the tree from which this nectar comes proudly appears on its national flag. In honor of this, I offer this exquisite apple cake recipe.
Here, maple syrup is used in a myriad of ways. It is sold in decorative bottles as visitor souvenirs and used in recipes across the country. Anywhere from a beautiful contrast in flavours in more savoury dishes, to a sweet addition to breakfast dishes and in the case of this recipe, in desserts.
This recipe offers an elegant presentation on Mother’s Day or any day on which a sweet treat is craved. Try it for yourself and enjoy!
Golden Delicious Apple Cake with Maple Walnut Glaze
Ingredients (For Apple Cake & Glaze)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 4 medium golden delicious apples (or your choice)
- 1/2 – 1 cups of walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup Canadian maple syrup (or whatever you have in your pantry)
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar or sugar substitute
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Non-stick Spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously spray the inside of bundt pan
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Core, skin and cube apples.
- In another bowl or in a mixer, cream 2/3 cup butter or margarine on medium to high until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar or sugar substitute until light and well incorporated.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing in well after each addition.
- Mix in 1/4 cup maple syrup (batter may appear curdled but that’s natural).
- Mix in 1/4 cup of flour mixture on low until all flour is combined.
- Gently fold in half the cubed apples.
- Spoon batter into bundt pan and spreading evenly.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to sit in pan on a wire rack until pan is cool to the touch.
- Place a flat plate over the top of bundt pan and gently flip it over onto wire rack. Then slowly pull bundt pan off of cake.
- Continue to cool cake on a wire rack or serve warm after topping with the glaze.
- In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 1/3 cup butter over medium.
- Add remaining apples to melted butter. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in brown sugar and cream.
- Bring just to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Turn down heat and allow to simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped walnuts until heated through
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Allow to sit and cool slightly for approx 3 minutes.
- Drizzle glaze over cake with a spoon
- Serve cake immediately for a warm presentation or store in a cool, dry part of the kitchen for later.